Job Title: Choir Director
Reports to: Principal(s), Superintendent(s)
Direct and manage the overall program of vocal music for the district. Provide students with an opportunity to participate in extracurricular choir activities and ensure compliance with all state and district requirements. Plan activities to achieve district, region, and state recognition.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
Valid Arkansas teaching certificate
Knowledge of overall operation of instrumental/vocal music program
Ability to manage budget and personnel
Knowledge of state and local policies governing choir
Ability to implement policy and procedures
Ability to interpret data
Strong communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills
Preferred - three years teaching and choir directing experience
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Direct high school choral performers, such as chamber, concert, soloists, and ensembles.
2. Establish performance requirements, enforce academic requirements, and verify each student’s eligibility to participate in choir.
3. Provide for choir participation at extracurricular events, including concerts, graduation, pep rallies, parades, and community activities.
4. Arrange transportation, lodging, and meals for out-of-town events.
5. Comply with federal and state laws, State Board of Education rules, and board policy in the choir area.
6. Work with choir booster club, and support choir booster club activities.
7. Obtain and use evaluative findings (including student achievement data) to determine program effectiveness and ensure that program renewal is continuous and responds to student needs.
8. Recommend policies to improve program.
Budget and Inventory
9. Ensure that programs are cost-effective and funds are managed wisely.
10. Compile budgets and cost estimates based on documented program needs.
11. Coordinate fundraising activities and manage funds.
12. Maintain current inventory of all fixed assets within department.
13. Oversee process of cleaning, repairing, and storing all choir equipment.
14. Develop and implement plans for instrumental music program and show written evidence of preparation as required.
15. Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations for individual student differences.
16. Present subject matter according to guidelines established by the Arkansas Department of Education, board policies, and administrative regulations.
17. Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned.
18. Conduct ongoing assessments of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
19. Create an environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
20. Apply and enforce student discipline in accordance with the student handbook.
21. Accompany and supervise students on out-of-town trips.
22. Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
23. Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents, students, principals, and teachers.
24. Maintain professional relationship with colleagues, students, parents, and community members.
25. Maintain confidentiality.
26. Assist with recruitment, selection, assignment, and training of assistant choir director(s).
27. Other duties as assigned.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress. Frequent district and occasional statewide travel; prolonged and irregular hours; outdoor and indoor work; exposure to sun, heat, cold, and inclement weather.
Contact: Jordan Price, OHS Principal at 667-4116 or Jordan.firstname.lastname@example.org